Books that 5V Students Have Read

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Among the Hidden (Reviewed by Anisha

Among the Hidden

Margaret Peterson Haddix

“I will never be allowed outside again, maybe never again as long as I live.”

-Luke

Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix is a fantastic fiction story because it can’t be real and families can have more than two children. Luke Garner lives in a world where families are only allowed two children. A third child is illegal and they must live in hiding and if they are discovered by the Population Police, they will die. Luke wants to stop Jen, a third child he had met, from taking a huge risk to come out of the shadows and be discovered by the Population Police but Jen won’t listen to him because she thinks that the Population Police won’t do anything to a crowd of thousand third children and Luke isn’t going to the rally. So anyway Jen goes to the rally. Will she be okay and what will happen to a crowd of thousand third children? Read the book to find out!

Among the Hidden has many strengths and weaknesses. A strength is that the author gave lots of details. The author gave lots of details of Jen’s house. For example, I could see a clear image in my head of how her house would look like. The author also gave lots of details of Luke’s room. For example, it was like a short movie in my head, whenever the author would give details of his room. A weakness is that the ending didn’t make that much sense. I hoped the author would elaborate more in the end. For example, I didn’t get the part how Jen’s dad explained why he typed something that was illegal. I wanted the author to write more about what happened. For example, I didn’t get the part why Luke was going to the Hendricks School for boys. I believe that the author should’ve wrote more in the end.

This book is five out of five stars. I highly recommend this book to 4th and 5th graders because they would understand the book better. You’ll be amazed how Jen and Luke take risks and get rid of their problems. You’ll totally love this book like when I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment